Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWALL firewall DHCP services

Hello

I have enabled DHCP service for my VLAN from 180.4.16.0/21 subnets but when device connected it get any random IP from this subnet so is there any way that DHCP assign addresses sequentially.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @tejasshenai,

If the DHCP is enabled for a VLAN sub-interface, the SonicWall needs to identify that the request is being made by a computer belonging to that VLAN. This is done using the VLAN tag.

So, please make sure that on the switch the port connecting the computer to the switch is an access port belonging to the right VLAN and the port connecting to the firewall parent interface is a trunk port.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I guess what @tejasshenai meant was the order how the IPs get assigned, starting by .1 - .2 - .3 - .4 - .5 .... .254.

AFAIK the DHCP picks a free address randomly out of the pool.

--Michael@BWC

• Yes. You are right .but a I recently created subnet and only a single device connected to that interface or VLAN so DHCP should assign IP from 180.4.16.2/21 as 180.4.16.1/21 assign to VLAN interface but it assign 180.4.22.xx/21.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Do you have 180.4.22.x bound somewhere to an interface or otherwise in the network?

As @shiprasahu93 mentioned below 180.4.22.0 is part of 180.4.16.0/21, totally overlooked the netmask.

--Michael@BWC

• @tejasshenai,

If the subnet mask is /21 on the interface then 180.4.22.xx/21 also belongs to the same network. I agree with @BWC, the DHCP IP assignment is not sequential and any free IP belonging to the network can be assigned.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services