Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Problems Configuring NSM SMTP Notifications

I'm running NSM 2.3.0-R9-8c0195ea and am having problems configuring system notifications via SMTP. I need to use an MS Office 365 authenticated account to send the email. I'm using this same account to send email from SonicWALL firewalls, so I know the account credentials are good and TLS Authentication (which is required) is working with O365.

Under SYSTEM -> Settings -> Administration -> Notifications, I set

• Mail Server: smtp.office365.com (I've verified that NSM can ping this DNS name in Diagnostics)
  • From Email Address: user@my.domain
  • Advanced Settings toggled on
  • SMTP Port: 587
  • Connection Security Method: SSL/TLS
  • Enable SMTP Authentication toggled on
  • Username: user@my.domain
  • Password: password-for-user

I need notifications so I can set up Two Factor Authentication for users. When I log in as a user and try to send E-MAIL for the Two Factor Authentication, I get a pop-up message saying "Internal server error"

When I go to Logs and Alerts -> Events, I see the following error message:

I don't see much further useful information if I turn on debug logging. How can I troubleshoot this further? Is there anyone out there using MS O365 for email notifications?

-Mike Kephart

Category: Network Security Manager

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @KEPPY,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Let me check this and get back.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

I have the same issue with a TZ 370. I ran across this post. Hope I don't have to wait as long as this guy to get a response

• EnaEna SonicWall Employee

Hello @NTI !

I ran this post by one of our Support Engineers and it looks like it's something that has to be diagnosed in real-time. Please reach out to Support if this is something you still need help with.